Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Lawyer Los Angeles

Complex Regional Pain SyndromeComplex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) or formerly, reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSD or RSDS) is a chronic pain condition characterized by swelling, changes in the skin, and severe pain due to high levels of nerve impulses being sent to the affected site.  According to most medical experts, CRPS is a result of peripheral or central nervous system dysfunction.  CRPS causes multiple functional loss, impairment and disability.

How is CRPS Diagnosed?

Courtesy of WebMd, although there is no specific diagnostic test for CRPS, other conditions can be ruled out with testing.  Changes in blood circulation and in the bones can be identified through triple-phase bone scans.  Making a diagnosis is especially difficult early in the course of this condition.

Diagnosis can be confirmed by observing the following symptoms:

  • An initial injury is present.
  • The injury causes an extraordinarily high level of pain—more than would normally be expected with such an injury.
  • The affected area of the body exhibits a change in appearance.
  • There is no other cause present for the change in appearance or the intense pain.

What is the Cause of CRPS?

CRPS has no single cause.  According to one theory, pain receptors in the affected area respond to catecholamines, the name for a group of central nervous system messengers.  An injury to the body triggers an immune response and causes symptoms of swelling, pain, and redness representing a disruption of the process of healing.

The San Diego injury attorneys at Carpenter, Zuckerman & Rowley, LLP want you to be informed about a medical condition which can accompany an initial injury.  Some medical problems may not appear at the time of an accident, but may later cause loss of function and even disability as is the case with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.  If you have been injured due to the negligence of another, CRPS may or may not accompany the injury, but you still have a right to recover compensation.  Call us at 213-514-8332 to learn how we can assist you.