It may not seem likely, but slip-and-fall accidents are the second most common cause of unintentional injuries and deaths in the U.S., according to the National Safety Council (NSC). Slippery floors, cluttered hallways, or broken staircases can cause serious accidents, particularly among adults ages 65 and older, who are four times more likely to suffer a fatal fall than other age groups.
The Los Angeles premises liability lawyers at Carpenter, Zuckerman & Rowley LLP have helped dozens of injured clients obtain the financial compensation they need after falling due to the poorly maintained conditions on premises.
Regardless of age, if you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, it is important that you understand what steps to take in order to prevent further injury and to protect your rights.
- Call emergency responders and wait for medical treatment.
- If anyone witnessed the accident, be sure to get their contact information.
- Take pictures of where you fell that show that there were no signs, cones, or tape to warn you about the hazardous area. Take pictures of your injuries, if possible.
- Report the accident to the property manager and request an incident report before you leave.
- Seek professional medical care immediately.
- Record any financial losses you have suffered as a result of your injury. Keep receipts for hospital visits, prescription purchases, or other expenses.
- Take notes on your physical or emotional struggles since the accident.
The slip-and-fall attorneys at Carpenter, Zuckerman & Rowley have the experience to help you determine liability and obtain the financial support you need. Contact usonline or call our Los Angeles office at 213-514-8332.