Living in California, there are opportunities year-round for boating expeditions. While these trips can create great memories and experiences, they can also present major dangers for those involved. Boating accidents in California can easily lead to serious injuries for all passengers, however, it does not take much to create such an accident.
Whether you have been out on the ocean or lake countless times or are considering your first ever boating experience, it is important to remember what mistakes, both large and small, may endanger you and everyone around you.
- Inexperience – Properly operating a boat of any size is no easy task, and those without enough experience can easily mishandle the boat. It is important that all boat operators take lessons and classes in order to know how to handle all situations.
- Operator Distraction – Operators must continually pay attention to what they are doing while piloting a boat. If they are distracted by passengers or any number of onboard events, they can improperly handle emergency situations and cause a crash.
- Passenger Behavior – Passengers should act in a safe manner while the boat is travelling to avoid falling overboard or otherwise causing an accident.
- Weather – Always pay attention to forecasts before venturing out, as shifts in weather can cause major changes in the safety of your trip. If it seems too dangerous, don’t go out; if not, then plan accordingly and bring safety gear.
- Reckless Actions – Like any other type of vehicle accident, speeding, drinking, disobeying laws, and performing other reckless actions can easily cause a crash, either with on-water hazards or other boats.
At Carpenter, Zuckerman & Rowley, giving innocent victims of all types of accidents the chance to recover from their losses is our top priority. Contact our law firm today at 213-514-8332 if you or a loved one has been involved in such an accident to receive a free consultation on your case.